Monday, November 1, 2010

RIP Zeke Mazurek

Readers of this blog know about Zeke, and his struggle with cancer. Unfortunately, as some of you may already know, Zeke passed away on Saturday, October 30th. Although we knew this was the most likely outcome, the speed with which it happened, was a shock to the system.

I wanted to take some time to thank everyone who was there for Zeke in his time of need. The Zeke Aid concerts were expressions of love that I will not soon forget, and I am very thankful that Zeke was able to see how much people cared for him, and remind him of the mark he made on the Canadian music industry.

On a personal note, I am saddened that he will not be around to see his grandchildren, Zach, Bella, and Gabriel, grow up. He was such a good "Bubba Zeke", and the kids will definitely miss the crazy faces he used to make.

I will also miss the kitchen table chats we used to have about the ups-and-downs of the music business, the next gig, the struggle to continue on in an unforgiving industry. It seems like we always ended up touching on those points(with a healthy dose of humour). Rest assured Zeke, I will carry on, and I will take your words of wisdom with me as I go.

And every time we are in some motel room after the gig, and Geoff & I pull out the dice for a round of "Valdez", I'll be thinking of you.

[At Zeke's request there will be no funeral service, just a private memorial in the spring. He suggested that donations in his memory be made to the Blue Skies Youth Fiddle Orchestra. The address is Blue Skies in the Community, c/o Elinor Rush, 4515 Wildlife Lane, R.R. # 1, Battersea ON K0H 1H0]

No comments:

Post a Comment