Thursday, February 9, 2017

Back on Canadian soil, and it feels so good...

...though the temperature leaves a little to be desired.
I have to confess to being somewhat apprehensive about this recent tour, given the political climate in the USA, but it turned out to be just what I needed to give me proper perspective. Turning off the news( because in the US, news is a term to use loosely. Thank God For The CBC!) and talking to actual Americans on the ground gave me hope for the future. Everyone I met were generally good, caring people, and while it is hard to understand why a Trump supporter supports Trump, I tried my best. But to be honest, most of the people I talked to did not support Trump, and the fact that I am Canadian, I think, allowed them to express this point of view. And I'm talking the cashier at the grocery store, the hotel worker, the gas attendant, offering up their opinions. Expressing their fear of what is happening and what is to come. Numerous people joked about hitching a ride up to Canada in my van.
But they're staying put. They're fighting the fight. And if the world is lucky, America will come out the other side of this mess a more caring, open, socially-progressive society, that is welcoming of all immigrants and people of difference. The way I see it, those who voted for Trump fear the future. Those who voted against him are the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment